August 28, 2012

Holiday Wreaths

My calling in my ward is basically the Enrichment Activities Co-Chair.  Basically me and another woman have a committee and we plan all the activities for our Relief Society.  It is very difficult for me because I am not great at planning things.  I'm great with organizing, but not so much planning.  I always thought that the people in charge of stuff like that had to be creative and crafty.  Apparently not.  I guess since pinterest came out, it no longer gives me an excuse.  :)  Anyway, I've recently been trying to make "model wreaths" for our Fabulous Friday (AKA Super Saturday but on a Friday) display.

I had recently made a Halloween, Thanksgiving and also Christmas tulle wreaths.  The Halloween and Christmas wreaths I used a styrofoam ring whereas with the Thanksgiving one, I used a pipe insulator that I had bought from Home Depot and cut in half.  The pipe insulators are VERY cost effective because you get two rings for $1.00.  With styrofoam rings, they run approximately $6.00-$7.00.  The problem with the pipe insulators is they don't hold their shape very well and if you wanted a more full wreath and bunch the tulle or fabric up more, it did not slide very well as opposed to the styrofoam rings.  Another reason I prefer the styrofoam wreaths is because since the ring is wider, it doesn't look like a bunch of empty space that you feel you have to fill.  In case anyone is wondering, I used two strips of the same color that measured about 12 inches long by about 2 inches wide.  Then I just tied them in a double knot around the ring.  It's really that easy!  I have to admit though that the sparkly tulle although messy does hold together when you put the two strips together to tie.  Just FYI.  I bought the majority of my tulle at Hobby Lobby because they had more variety.  They had sparkly tulle that was only 12 yards for $4 as opposed to the standard tulle that was 24 yards for $4.  I did notice Walmart also has the rolls of tulle for $4 as well, but the colors are very limited.

Here are the photos of all the wreaths I've done so far.  I plan on making more for other holidays.  I really love the tulle wreaths because they're just fun.
Halloween
 Thanksgiving
 Christmas
    I thought they turned out pretty well considering I'm not crafty at all.  I even made the bows myself.  I was so proud!  That is a huge deal for me.  I'm not normally this into crafts, but they were fun to make!  I think I may make some for a few friends and neighbors.  I LOVE this time of year!

1 comment:

CJ said...

Super cute! I might have to make one...