February 9, 2016

A Joyful Calling

A few weeks ago I (Amy) was asked to move from working as the Wolf Den Leader in Cub Scouts to Webelos Assistant Leader.  I was a little hesitant because it is more work.  I wasn't sure I could handle that, being a mom with a baby, being the room mom (planning the parties) for Jairus's kindergarten class, and keep up with everything at home.  
I have been in scouts going on two or three years and was expecting to be released.  I really struggled with the idea of being a scout leader because I wasn't "one of those types of people that could be a scout leader."  The BSA (Boy Scouts of America) had launched a new scouting program last year and I was really nervous about all the new stuff I would need to do.  There had also been some things that happened politically with the scouting program that I was just not wanting to support.  I had asked for a release months ago shortly after having our last baby, but later got the feeling that God was not finished with me in scouts.  He needed me there a reason.  I remained in my calling just "waiting out my time" which sounds more like a prison sentence.  In all honesty, I just didn't see much value in scouts.  
This past week, I attended a scouting training meeting for our stake.  As I sat and listened, I began to gain a testimony about my calling.  I had some insights and thoughts come to me as I was in this meeting.  I can honestly say I am genuinely excited to be involved in this program.  I now see the value in it.  I'm really excited to dive into my new calling and be able to learn new things along with the boys.  There is so much useful information!  I got my new manual today for Webelos so now it's official.  
When I got home from Pack meeting today, I started looking through the manual with my daughter.  She kept telling me how much she wanted to be a scout.  It looks like I may need to purchase my own scout books so we can go over the skills together as a family.  There are some great things to learn!  Wow!  I am feeling so blessed and so grateful for the opportunity to be in scouts.  It's awesome!  I'm so glad that God knows what he is doing and that I didn't get the release I asked for.  This is gonna be great!

No comments: