September 18, 2009

Gardening & recipes

I know I've talked quite a bit about my garden. I just can't help but feel so much excitement when I think of all the produce we've received! We have had so much produce come from our garden that it just amazes me! We have tomatoes coming out of ears that I need to can soon, we've picked tons of zucchini, green peppers that I'm getting oh so excited to pick, 8+ cantaloupe that are getting ready to pick and we have already picked about 5 pink jumbo banana squash! That's not even including all the herbs or other stuff we planted in our front yard.

I have never really gotten into the whole gardening thing before this year. I have to say, it has been such a blessing. I absolutely LOVE gardening......the weeding, not so much. I have kind of neglected my weeding mainly because it keeps the ground nice and moist. I LOVE our garden! It has even blessed us when we were running low on money due to unforseen expenses.

Anyone know of any really good recipes? I'm trying to find new recipes for banana squash (that isn't mashed with butter or brown sugar or in a soup) or zucchini (I usually sautee it with butter and garlic or make chocolate chip zucchini bread) as well as other things I have been growing in my garden. I don't want these things to go to waste. Keep in mind, I'm still new to this whole gardening thing. A lot of this stuff I haven't even tried before or had much experience cooking.

3 comments:

Cher said...

oh yeah, we had a delicious veggie meal last night. grilled veggie tostadas. i'm going to put the recipe on my blog, but if you want to make them now, then you just put refried beans, grilled veggies (olive oil/salt/pepper and broil/bbq them. we used squashes and peppers), cheese, fresh tomatoes, little tostada tortillas. oh, and salsa on top. i loved them, lucy did too.

Ma M said...

I'm with you, we have lots of produce from our garden as well. John harvested the rest of our garden yesterday and we have a wheel barrow full of veggies. I would also like some new recipes. We tried a new recipe for spagetti squash. Looked like fear factor food, but good.

BreAn said...

I like to grill our zucchini on the bbq. Add a few spices and maybe some butter first and grill it. Mmmm. You could also use it as a substitute in pasta (instead of meat).
You'll have to let me know what you end up doing with it, and your banana squash. I've never used that before.