I woke Brian up to let him know about Petey and he took care of the dead body while I had Tali in her room playing. When she finally came out, she was asking where Petey was. We tried explaining it to her the best we could. We told her that he went to live with Heavenly Father and that he is taking care of him now. She kept going over to the empty cage and was saying in this sad voice "Petey. Heavenly Father." I guess she wasn't really understanding because before her nap today she wanted to say goodnight to Petey. He had moved Petey's food and gravel and went to take the cage out to the shed so she wouldn't see it and keep asking about Petey. When Brian came back in the house, Tali had moved the food and gravel back to it's original place and telling him where it's supposed to go. She then kept pointing to the shed thinking that Petey was out there while Brian continued to explain to her that he was gone. He even got a little choked up. He and Petey bonded.
How do you explain death to a 2 1/2 year old? I thought we did a pretty good job explaining it, but she still doesn't get it. Any thoughts or ideas would be helpful.
"Goodnight Petey"
2 comments:
When Nathan's friend from daycare died, we talked about Heavenly Father and where he lived and told him that she went to live with Heavenly Father and Jesus. He still doesn't fully understand, but you can only explain so much when they are so little. Good luck! Sorry about Petey!
Oh, how sad! :( I liked Petey (and so did my kids)...I'm sorry he died! Poor Tali...I think you guys did a good job explaining. She really won't understand death completely for a few more years, so don't be too hard on yourselves. My kids are finally getting it (Rais was very concerned about the Resurrection about a year ago -- he wanted to know why our bodies aren't perfect), but it did take awhile...So if she asks about it for awhile, just keep telling her what you've been telling her. And in awhile, she'll begin to understand.
Post a Comment