May 18, 2011

Vacation: Day one- Anniversary Dinner & Moving

We recently went on a vacation to Denver, Colorado.  We went there because the kids couldn't handle a really long drive.  I was surprised they made it to Denver and back.  We also wanted to check out the area and see what it was like.  It's pretty much like Utah, but it was mostly warmer when we were there.  It only rained two days we were there, but I'll get into that later.

We check into our hotel and first off, I am not impressed at all!  The room was pretty small and looked dirty.  The door didn't lock, there were burn marks on the counter from a coffee pot, the stove had stains from food.  There was a hole in the freezer door (which I will explain later) and it was just terrible.  Brian actually wanted to go get stuff to clean it.  I told him we are not wasting our money on cleaning supplies for something that should have been done already.  I thought to myself "It's not that bad.  You're only going to be here a week.  It will be okay."  HA HA!  So I unpacked everything.

We arrived there on Brian's and my 6th wedding anniversary.  Happy Anniversary, Babe.  I love you!  Since it was our anniversary, we wanted to go to a nice family restaurant with the kids.  We didn't know anyone there to watch the kids while we went to dinner so we needed something that was family friendly.  I ended up calling my friend Becky (who had visited the area not too long ago) and she suggested we go to this Mexican restaurant called Casa Bonita.  Thanks Becky!  It was really cool and fancy!  It was SO much better than The Mayan.  They had divers and everything, but this place was just awesome! 

See?  I was VERY impressed with this place.  I loved the fountain out front too.
We ate dinner in this cave lookin' thing that was really cool.  I really wish I would have taken more pictures.
 They had these fake bats in the cave that had green eyes.  I jokingly told Tali that if she didn't eat her food, the bats were going to eat her.  Mean, I know.  At least she started eating.  Then she got really scared and I had to tell her that mommy and daddy were teasing her and that it wasn't true, but she was persistent that it was.
They had a really cool mariachi band that just added to the atmosphere.
This was the diving area.  The show was pretty cool.
They also had this treasure chest full of tootsie rolls for the kids but they could only take one. 
I was surprised with all the kid friendly stuff they had.
Our little "biker chick."
Ever since I told Tali we were going on vacation, she had been obsessing over riding a pink pony.  Where she got this idea, I don't know, but I was able to find a pink pony for her to "pretend" to ride because she is deathly afraid of being on them when they start moving.
We really did have an amazing time!
I'm still in awe over this place.
Some nice woman had offered to take our picture which I was extremely grateful.
As we were walking out to the parking lot Tali must have had a fantastic time because she was so happy and excited that she missed a step and ended up falling down and scraping up her hand and bruising up her shin.  We then had to practice first aid and take her back to the hotel and get her cleaned up more thoroughly.

When we got back to our hotel room, I decided to give Tali a bath and I was disgusted as to what I found.  There were little black hairs in the tub and it looked as though it had not even been cleaned.  I ended up cleaning it myself and we were going to check out the next day to switch hotels. Brian had informed me that the hole in the freezer door was from a bullet.  Yeah.  A bullet.  The inside of the freezer door had a chunk out of it and had skid marks along the wall of the freezer.  I really wish I was joking about this, BUT, it gets worse.  As I pulled out the sleeper sofa for Tali to sleep on, the mattress had stains all over it.  I thought "it's okay, she'll be sleeping on a sheet on top of it.  It's only for one night."  Well, as I was putting the sheet on and tucking them underneath, what do I find but an old used t-shirt.  I REALLY wish I was joking about this, but it's the truth.  That was the last straw!  So by this time it was around 10 or 11pm.  Brian hadn't had ANY sleep in 24 hours and so we both started packing stuff back up.  I called the lobby of the hotel and told them the situation and they offered to put us in a different room, but we just wanted our money back.  We refused to stay there! They did end up giving us a refund, so we went to a hotel just down the street.  We were even able to check the room before we checked in to make sure we wanted to stay there.  The new room was much nicer and bigger than the previous one, so we took it.  By the time we got everything to our room, we were so exhausted and quickly fell fast asleep!     

1 comment:

jasnjan said...

Can't believe the hotel was so gross!! That is horrible. I would have went somewhere else too. Glad they at least gave you your money back. I went to Denver on my senior trip with friends in high school. I really liked it. Glad you guys had a good time.