March 10, 2010

Story Behind The Names

As most of you know (those who are on facebook anyway),  our little man has a name!  There is a story behind his name which I thought was pretty neat.  I thought I'd go ahead and share it with you all.  

The day I got back from my ultrasound, I had been obsessing over what to name our little man.  I tried putting different things together, but no name really sounded just right.  I was exhausted so I decided I would take a nap.  While lying in bed, I thought of the name Jarison, but thought Jarison Monson sounded a little funny.  I thought it sounded more like a last name anyway.  I then thought "what if I just shortened it to Jairus?"  I really liked it and figured if I remembered it when I woke up I'd tell Brian about it and see what he thought.  My first thought when I woke up was the name Jairus.  I was shocked that I could even remember such a different name.  

I had later asked Brian what he thought about it and he actually liked it.  I felt like it was some sort of an epiphany or something, but didn't think too much of it......that is until last night.

Now, to give you a little background on Talitha's name.  Brian had found Talitha's name in the New Testament in Mark 5:41.  When Christ had raised a little girl from the dead, he said to her "Talitha cumi; which is, being interpreted, Damsel, I say unto thee, arise."  We thought it meant little lamb.  That's okay though because we still liked the name.  We also loved that it had a spiritual significance.

When Brian and I had chosen the name Jairus, we had no idea or at least had forgotten that Jairus is also a biblical name.  No we did not plan that.  It was by pure coincidence.  In fact, yesterday, I was looking up different spellings of the name Jairus.  When I found it, I noticed that it was a Hebrew name which meant "God enlightens."  I found it so fitting and yet so ironic that the name had just come to me and the meaning is "God enlightens."  Coincidence?  I think not.

As I continued reading on babyzone.com, about the name it said that "In the New Testament, Jairus is the father of a child brought back to life by Jesus."  I was a little curious to see if it had any ties to Talitha's name.  I then went to Mark chapter 5 and low and behold in verse 22 it mentions the name Jairus who one of the rulers of a synagogue.  Anyway as you read on, you find out that he has a daughter.  The very same daughter that Christ raises from the dead!  Another coincidence?  NO FLIPPIN WAY!!!

I really truly think that my son is supposed to be named Jairus.  This may sound a bit too personal to share with everyone, but I was so excited with my discovery as well as the story behind their names.  
Thank you to those who read this post.  I know it was kind of long, but I didn't want to leave anything out.  So there you have it.  Our son's name will be Jairus Brian Monson.

5 comments:

Julie Thorup said...

That's so exciting! I was wondering about Talitha's name, and figured it had some meaning behind it for you but I forgot to ask when I saw you last. That's so cool that the name just came to you. I don't think it's too personal to share. I love it when people talk about spiritual things that happen to them. Thanks so much for sharing!

Lera said...

Very cool. I love it when names have meaning behind them. How exactly do you pronouce Jairus?

Becky said...

I love it! It sounds perfect!!

jasnjan said...

That is very cool! Awesome name!

Cher said...

awesome! but now it will make your next children even harder to name cuz you'll want them to be tied to the story too. :) unless you're done with 2, who ever knows.