As the new year approached, I decided that I wanted to start my own book group with a group of my friends. I have some friends that are not LDS, but love to read the same kind of books as I do. We met together on January 10th to decide on a book, sign people up on goodreads.com (a website you can store all the books you've read, you want to read, and ones you're currently reading and rate them. Depending on how you rate your books, you will have book suggestions of the type of books you like to read. It's an awesome website!), and just getting to know one another. Our group is full of wonderful, fun women. I am really excited!
The Relief Society from my ward used to have a book group, but then it kind of fizzled and it was no longer a Relief Society function because the leaders didn't go and apparently, I didn't know this, but the church did away with the separate group meetings and decided to go back to the Enrichment activities. So the Relief Society no longer were a part of those groups even though the groups still got together. Anyway, I didn't want any hard feelings between the book group I would go to with my ward and and the one that I created. My main reason for creating my own book group was so that I could read more books in my type of genre, but also I wanted to be able to invite my friends that aren't LDS. They are very fun and very good people. I love them! I did reassure them though that in my book group I wouldn't read anything that they would feel uncomfortable with. I can always read religous type books on my own time.
Anyway, the book we chose to read for the month of January was Night Shifters by Cheryl Lee. She is a local author and one of my friends knew her personally and invited her to talk about her book at our next book group. I was beyond thrilled! I do have to say, there were a lot of grammatical errors, but the story itself I really liked. It was unlike what I was used to reading. It was also a fast and easy read.
We had our book group for the book Night Shifters this past Tuesday on the 7th. The author was so cool and so funny. Right off she appologized for all the errors in the book and told us that she wasn't able to catch everything because she didn't have an editor at the time because she didn't have the money to hire one and so her book was self published, but she now has an editor and so the next book will be better about that. As she introduced herself and told us about her book and how it came to be, I was captivated. I was very intrigued at what she had to say. As she explained the book to us, we began to understand the book a little more and began to fall in love with the story. I never had an opportunity like that before. We were there for a good two hours and it was just so amazing! I loved having her there. I am getting really excited to read her other books that she has in the works along with her sequels. She is such a great lady.
Next month we will be reading the Garden Plot by Kristen McKendry. I am so excited for this book group. These women are so amazing and so fun! I love every one of them!

.jpg)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment